Re: [wg-c] Retraction of previous proposal

>>> "Mark C. Langston" <skritch@HOME.COM> 07/30 2:05 PM >>>

>They're not limited.  The number of TLDs that can be created is >limited
>only by the number of registries willing to support them.  And yes, >I
>think it's a workable solution.

But, if you are suggesting that all owners of TMs, in order to adequately protect their marks, must go out and register their marks as SLDs under every TLD, then you aren't really expanding the name space.  You'll have the same issue in every TLD that you have in .COM, namely a perceived shortage of acceptable name strings.

. . .

>I'm
>merely upset that the TM interests want something for nothing.  It >won't
>happen.  TANSTAAFL.

They are not asking for *something for nothing* they merely want to be able to hold infringers accountable.  It seems to me that the cost of doing business anywhere (including on the Internet) is the loss of anonymity (for instance, incorporation records, etc.).  In fact, the cost of being part of a society and interacting with others is the loss of anonymity.  Cyber-infringers cannot be allowed to infringe with impunity, but rather, like everyone else in the world, should be held accountable for their actions.
--

For the Record - I am not a member of any constituency.  All views put forth are views of my own.

Rita M. Odin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !