Re: [wg-c] Privacy gTLD

On 28 July 1999, Javier SOLA <javier@aui.es> wrote:

>Privacy TLDs are an interesting idea, but they do have a few setbacks from
>a business point of view.
>

>Seen from an ISP side, what might happen is that if the customer does
>not assume responsibility for the contents of the website (cannot be
>identified), then the ISP might be considered responsible for the
>contents, in the same way in which -in a collective book- what is
>written is responsibility of each author, but if there is no author
>for a given part of the book, then the editor assumes the
>responsibility.

Most every ISP that hosts web pages (and please, let's keep in mind
that TLDs are much, much more than someplace to hang a URI for a
web page) has explicit terms in their contract that forbid any behaivor
that would put the ISP in such a situation.  The ISP must accept
payment for the account (unless it's free, at which point I'd argue
that this isn't a smart move on the ISP's part).  Why can't the ISP
hold accountable the person who paid for the account, and thereby
agreed to the contract which prohibited such behavior?

>I would also see difficult identification of a web owner as a barrier to
>e-commerce. People would have be careful to know who they trade with, if
>that company/person can be easily found or not. Identification for
>trade-mark violations through the internet (not domain related) would also
>have to be looked at carefully.

See above.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org