[wg-c] How to search consensus on new gTLDs

David,

> a theoretical approach assuming the ability to create hundreds
> or millions of gTLDs (or even 20) won't get us anywhere.

Indeed it will not. Maybe we can put this subject to rest by
agreeing to state in our report that many members of the WG feel
that an orderly addition of a substantial number of gTLDs is the
best long term solution, but recognise that we have to start with
few gTLDs because this is currently the only viable consensus.

We migth run an experimental vote along the following lines:

  Check one or several of the options below:
  This WG member believes that ...
    [ ] (a) hundreds of new gTLDs is best long-term solution
    [ ] (b) dozens of new gTLDs is best long-term solution
    [ ] (c) adding few gTLDs now is better than status quo
    [ ] (d) adding few gTLDs is acceptable for now
    [ ] (e) status quo is better than adding few gTLDs now
    [ ] (f) status quo is better than adding many gTLDs now
  Note: these responses only apply to the number of gTLDs.

I wonder how many respondends will combine affirmative answers
to (a) and (e) - probably not many.

But I am convinced many will combine affirmative answers to
(b) and (c) and (d). I would not surprised to find an over
90% affirmative answers to (d).

Regards,

Werner

--
Tel: +41 22 312 5600  Direct line: +41 22 312 5640  http://axone.ch
Fax: +41 22 312 5601  2 cours de Rive   CH-1204 Geneva, Switzerland