Re: [wg-c] Election of co-chair

At 10:22 AM 7/24/99 -0400, Milton Mueller wrote:
<snip>
>I propose these conclusions:
>
>a) by holding an election for Chair we will be discarding our current
chair and
>selecting a new one, unless we explicitly agree to accept the current chair
>designated by the Names Council.

I agree that the WG should elect its own chair, and have stated so to the
Names Council. The concept of a pNC-appointed chair was a compromise
response to my suggestion that WG's should elect/appoint their own chairs,
not the pNC.

Even so, I also believe it is probably a good idea for the Working Group to
have a person who serves as liaison with the Names Council, for
communication reasons at the least. That might be achieved in one of
several ways:

1. The current pNC-appointed Chair (Javier) could stand for
election/confirmation along with any other nominees; if elected/confirmed,
he would be able to serve the liaison function as well;

or

2. If the current pNC-appointed chair is not elected/confirmed, the newly
elected chair could ask the pNC to appoint a liaison - it would likely
continue to be Javier.
or

3. If the current pNC-appointed chair is not elected/confirmed, the newly
elected chair could appoint someone from among its members (pNC member or
not) to serve as liaison to the pNC and inform the pNC that it would like
to assign its own liaison.

>b) The Chair will not have the ability to determine consensus on his/her own.
>Votes must be taken on each issue, and the committee might want to fix a
>specific threshold, such as 66% majority.

Agree

>c) No conclusions of any sort will be arrived at prior to a face to face
>meeting of this committee in Los angeles in November.

Agree