Re: [wg-c] Let's work on...

At 01:58 22/07/99 +0200, Onno Hovers wrote:

>Javier,
>
>You are the chair. When you propose something, people think you mean
>business. I presume that you do not, and that this plan is just that,
>another plan or proposal which is up for discussion.
>
>Both on the who-decides part and on the method part there are strongly
>differing opinions. It would be wrong to short circuit all the discussions
>and move towards a decision on an arbitrary basis before the workgroup has
>had enough time to discuss these differences.

Onno,

As chair, my role is to keep the discussion rolling, to try to find points
of agreement and to assure that any agreements that are reached are put
into a final report. So far, the only issue against which nobody has said
anything, and can therefore be considered as consensus of this group (in
spite of the fact that some outside may think differently) is that there
should be new gTLDs.

Everything else are issues we should work on.

1) How should gTLDs be chosen
2) How should a registry be chosen. Definition of a Call for Tender with
basic requirements and points to be evaluated.
3) Define how a registry should work to assure the best possible service to
registrars and to assure user rights.

On the first question, after strong opposition to choosing specific gTLDs,
I am trying to see if there is a rough consensus on how to choose gTLDs,
for which I have presented a first rough document.

For the second question, we should try to come out with a set of
requirements that anybody who wishes to become a registry should comply
with, as well as a set of criteria that should add points to an application.

For the third one we should identify how a registry can block good service
to final users, and figure out regulation that will force it to act in a
fair way, as well as with registrars.