Re: [wg-c] WG Chairs -- CALL FOR REMOVAL OF JAVIER SOLA AS CHAIR

On 21 July 1999, Javier <javier@aui.es> wrote:

>The Names Council is supposed to manage the decision making process, which
>supposedly takes place in the working groups. Working groups prepare
>documents that the NC has to approve. If these documents are in complete
>disagreement with the majority of the Names Council, it will not approve
>them as they are.

So.  The WG had better come up with a document that coincides with the
pNC's opinion, or it'll be rejected?  Thanks for putting that in
writing, in public, before the hearings.

In case you missed it, Mr. Sola, the WGs, the pNC, the DNSO, and ICANN
are *supposed* to represent the will of the community, NOT the members
who sit on their councils.  The WGs, being open to all, are among the
most grass-roots representations of the will of that community.

>The Names Council represents all the contituencies.

If the WG comes up with a consensus document that the pNC doesn't agree
with, then the pNC IS NOT REPRESENTING THE CONSTITUENCIES!  Who do you
think forms the WGs, wombats?  You make such a big deal about how the
WGs are open to participation from everyone.  Now you're going to sit
here and claim that because they're open to everyone, they might
create a document that goes against what the pNC wants to do?

Who's in the wrong here, the WG or the pNC?  You're not warming that
chair on the pNC so you can express your views.  You're there to
express the desires of those you represent.  Those you represent are
welcome to participate in the WG.  If the WG presents a consensus
document, the pNC has NO CHOICE but to accept it, unless they in
fact not working in a representative fashion.  If the pNC does reject
the document, there had better be strong arguments as to why the
subset of the community that the pNC is agreeing with has not
spoken up and/or joined the WG to help produce consensus.  If the pNC
rejects the document without mandate from the community, they are
again working in their own, and not the community's, interest.

>The general assembly
>and the working groups include the voices of individuals, but if what these
>individuals agree on is against the interests or desires of the big
>majority of players (constituencies), these constituencies, in the Name
>Council, will take those documents for what they represent and decide on
>what they believe is the interest of all the groups.

Thank you, again, for putting this in writing before the hearings.
You have come out openly against any form of individual representation,
and have furthermore exhibited your bias against the processes of the WG,
of which you are supposed to be chair.  You know very well that there
are struggles on several fronts to obtain constituency status for
individuals.  I've got news for you, Mr. Sola.  the vast majority
of the "community" ICANN claims to represent is composed of
individuals.

Here and now, I call for the removal of Mr. Javier Sola as the chair
of wg-c, on the grounds that he is predisposed to be biased against
any document created by the WG, and has furthermore admitted that
he has no faith in the results produced by our effort, given our
current composition.

--
Mark C. Langston	     			Let your voice be heard:
mark@bitshift.org				     http://www.idno.org