Re: [wg-c] There is no "consensus"

>>> Milton Mueller <mueller@syr.edu> 07/20/99 12:04PM >>> wrote . . .

>It seems obvious to me that a company that sets up
>the software required to accept registrations from
>intermediaries (registrars) could also easily accept
>registrations from end users themselves. Thus, it is
>the registry that is the basic service provider.

{SNIP}

This is like saying that software companies that provide
second-level technical support to resellers "could also
easily accept" requests for technical support from end-users.
While the requirements for (a) validating a properly-formatted
request for zone delegation, (b) updating the connected databases
and ( c ) publishing the resultant zone files are tiny, the flood
of requests for technical support that would result from the
masses of 404 Induhviduals who want their own second-level
domain names could easily swamp a startup entity.  Especially
if that entity is supposed to be operating on a strict cost-recovery
basis.  On the other hand, if the system establishes a requirement
that registrars must have a competently-staffed help desk to handle
first level customer support, then it becomes thinkable that
the system can work.

While there's a great deal about NSI to dislike, I am amazed that
its technical support system works at all.   Granted, NSI's customer
service is often enough to make strong wem cry, but when a
dog walks on two legs  .  .  .  :-)

In other words, registrars provide valuable service in delivering
service to end-users, overseeing the secure, robust and auditable
enqueuement of delegation requests, and in general seeing to the
operation of the system.  They provide a useful, i.e., competitive,
buffer between the natural monopoly that a gTLD registry brings
into being, and the end-user.  The non-profit registry/for-profit registrar
model may seem stuffy and stodgy, but it facilitates competition and
enhances the stability of the domain name system.

KJC.2
<as usual, please disregard the silly trailer>

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential
and is or may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, the work
product doctrine, joint defense privileges, trade secret protections,
and/or other applicable protections from disclosure.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this com-
munication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communi-
cation in error, please immediately notify us by calling our Help Desk
at 212-541-2000 ext.3314, or by e-mail to helpdesk@rspab.com