[wg-c] Registry-Registry Operator

If we are to have a concept of a 'Registry' that is separate from a
'Registry operator' and the Registry is to be non-profit while the Registry
Operator can be a for-profit, what is the role of the Registry?
(Personally, I am loathe to add another layer to the
Registry-Registrar-Registrant model which now becomes Registry-Registry
Operator-Registrar-Registrant, but hey).
Surely if there is to be a non-profit operating as the Registry, then this
entity should just be ICANN or some operational branch of ICANN.
Thus, ICANN Registry Division would be the Registry for all gTLDs, but it
would license them under controlled conditions to people who would do the
operational work, i.e. Operate the Registry.
I think we should avoid creating endless layers of bureaucracy.
Can we discuss these structures as part of our WG brief.
Ivan