Re: [wg-b] Protections for Noncommercial gTLDs.

Thank for actually reading a case. Now we can discuss law.  The Brachs case
illustrates the limitation of fair use in that the defendant may not use
more than what is reasonably needed to describe the plaintiff or
plaintiff's goods or services.  In this case, the use of the logo was not
necessary and was found to be infringing.

Similarly use of an employer's name as part of a domain name is more than
is necessary to fairly describe the employer.  If the Teamster's needed to
describe GM, they do not need to re-name themselves GM to do so.  If they
have dispute with GM and want to set up a website, they will most likely
not be permitted to name it gm.union, especially when it can be shown that
they can communicate through a website such as teamers.org/gm/ or
teamsters-vs.gm.com or even organize-gm.union.  And that's why the Brachs
case suggests that gm.union will likely to be infringing.

I'm not the one saying .union is non-commercial and should be exempt from
trademark protection.  It's not my burden to distinguish my cases on your
behalf.

And I don't feel particularly guilty about asking lawyers who make legal
conclusions to support those conclusions.  I'm not keeping them from
researching the cases.  In fact, if they are lawyers and were hired by
non-commercial organizations to represent them in this debate, they are
kind of obligated to do their homework.