[wg-b] RE: Arbitration (RE: (wg-b) food for thought)

I thought we were supposed to working on protecting famous marks in this
working
group.  The proactive exclusion can and will work.  I believe that a
qualified
expert group of decisionmakers, using the WIPO standards, can come up with a

list of famous marks.  There should be no overall cap -- because famous
marks
are always in the making.  The proactive exclusion would apply to the exact
mark
or extremely close variations (e.g., BellAtlantic.firm, Bell-Atlantic.firm)
and
would afford the trademark owner the right to secure its essential, famous
name
in the new gTLD space.  Otherwise, what you are arguing is that
"entrepreneurs"
should have the right to confuse customers and engage in consumer fraud by
stealing exact duplications of famous marks in the new name spaces. There
already appear to be plenty of "business opportunities" for "entrepreneurs"
who
steal variations of famous marks at their own peril. Bell Atlantic submitted

documented evidence of the more than 1000 domain name infringements we
experienced for two of our marks in .com, .net and .org.  This and other
evidence submitted by the trademark community to WIPO was far from
anecdotal.
We're far too busy to waste our time with this process if cybersquatting
wasn't
a huge and growing problem.

On the issue of determining what is a famous mark, of course it is risky for
all
involved if a mark does not make the list. I think we can compensate for
this,
however, by creating a statement that failure to be included on the list of
famous marks does not imply that the mark is not famous or any other
negative
implication.