Re: [wg-b] "Oops" domains

See the Interstellar Starship case (epix.com) at the Ninth Circuit's site at

http://www.ce9.uscourts.gov/web/newopinions.nsf/f606ac175e010d64882566eb0065
8118/88e8b2a45ece6f4b882567b300658b4f?OpenDocument

for its discussion of initial interest confusion.  Also see the
wwwpainewebber case (I do not have a URL).

At 07:41 AM 9/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Jonathan and Martin --
>
>A US federal court (sorry, I can't recall the cite, but will look it up if
you're interested) ...
>stated that web searching is a multi-step process by which the average
user knows that
>they have to verify the site they have landed at. Simply landing at the
wrong site doesn't
>prove confusion or dilution or other forms of infringement.
>
>The trademark holder wants, rightly,  to prevent infringement -- including
dilution.  If a name alone
>constitutes a form of dilution in the mind of the trademark holder --
independent of any activity occuring on the site -- then the trademark
holder should anticipate this and register the name.