Re: [wg-b] Re: ICANN's Mandate

Randy has confused registries and registrars.

DARPA and NSF did not accredit registrars. IANA accredited registrars only
within dot US. NSI entered into private contractual arrangements with registrars
for dot com and other gTLDs around the world. They had over 100 such
relationships with registrars prior to ICANN's formation. Nominet (.UK) has its
own method of accrediting registrars, according to a completely differnet,
nonunniform set of criteria. Country code registries in general can accredit
their own registrars -- and they still can, because at this stage ICANN hasn't
established sufficient authority over them, although it will try.