Re: [wg-b] Re: ICANN's Mandate

And if I don't like the taxi service, I can call a large number
of *unregulated* services that compete directly.  For example,
I can engage high-end services such as limousine rental, or
low-end services such as "shuttles" that will take me to my destination
if I don't mind sharing with folks.  Some vendors in completely unrelated
services can bundle transportation (e.g., hotels and convention
centers provide transportation to specific points) or I can rent
equipment and do it myself (car rental).

Now suppose that all transportation from the airport *had* to be by licensed
carrier.  You could not even drive your own car to the airport
without getting "certified" as a common airport carrier.  Worse, part of this
certification means agreeing to let the certifying authority charge you
(but they promise they won't) take your vehicle number and any other
information they want (to help police catch speeders, but we promise not
to abuse it), to give up your car at anytime (but only if you do something
so bad you don't *deserve* a car), and anything else they desire.

Now also imagine that the decision on whether to even *allow*
you to get a license to get to the airport was made by some secret committee
of taxi drivers who, oddly enough, don't *like* anyone other than taxi
drivers driving to the airport.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
The Internet was built to the 100,000,000 user size it is,
completely with unaccredited registrars.

Judith

--
Judith Oppenheimer, 1 800 The Expert, 212 684-7210
mailto:joppenheimer@icbtollfree.com