Re: do we want to have constituency meetings in singapore next month?

Chon and all,

While not OPPOSED, personally, to a meeting of constituencies, keep in mind
that at this point, there are TWO proposals for the DNSO, and only ONE
defines which constituencies there will be. Unless either 1) the two are
merged pre-Singapore or 2) ICANN selects one over the other, it doesn't make
much sense to hold constituency meetings. I would much rather see time for a
meeting of the proposers of each of the two proposals in a negotiating
session.

What I would propose is for the morning of 3.2, see if you can schedule an
open negotiating session of the folks from the proposals. That would be the
"signing sponsors" of the Paris draft and of the DNSO.org draft. I have no
problem if the MEETING is open (ie, there is an audience), but this should
be a merging meeting, rather than an incorporate-new-ideas meeting. Then,
once (hoepfully) the two drafts are merged into a coherent whole, we then
have DNSO meetings in which everyone can participate (ie, not just watch),
talking about what changes, if any, need to be made to that merged draft.

NOTE: AIP is collecting suggestions to the Paris draft at the address
specified at the dnso.association.org web site, and will send those, as
well, so that the input of the public on the lists are also included in the
post-draftmerger meetings.

If all this takes place on 3.2, then we finally have a SINGLE proposal that
ICANN can approve or not at its Board Meeting, and then, on 3.5, the work of
the DNSO can begin...

Just a proposal.

Thoughts?

Sincerely,
Andrew

--
Andrew Q. Kraft, MAIP
Executive Director, Association of Internet Professionals (AIP)