Re: Useful Comments Re: DNSO process and Drafts submitted to ICA

On 08-Feb-99 Michael Sondow wrote:
>  John B. Reynolds a écrit:
>
> > How would this give control to ORSC?
>
>  Alright, perhaps my reaction was slightly exaggerated. Let's just say it's
>  strictly in their interest, to the direct detriment of other interests, my
>  own for example.

I fail to see how this suggestion is to the direct detriment of your interests.
 Would you please explain that to me?  Perhaps rather than attacking the intent
of the person recommending, you can suggest some alternative language?

> > Every domain name holder directly or
> > indirectly administers a DNS zone file.  Are you sure you're not
> > confusing "DNS zone" with "root zone"?
>
>  No, the domain holders don't administer zone files. That's done by the ISPs
>  and the layers above them in the hierarchy. My name isn't in my ISP's
>  permissions file for changing RRs. I have no control over the MX records, or
>  the CNAME aliases, or who is the secondary NS, or anything else to do with
>  the zone files. I've been reading the BIND manual in my spare time. You
>  can't kid me.

Actually, it is quite easy to learn and do, and there is even a place that will
let you manage your own zone file on their dns server (For free no less) and
run it through a checker to make sure it is a valid zone.

The good thing about this idea (which has its flaws, I agree with you there) is
that it starts to reach a concern I have had for a long time.  That is the
level of understanding of the people who will have the ability to vote and make
decisions in the DNSO.  Requiring the operation of a dns zone at least shows
they have the ability and drive to learn how to do something, and do indeed
have a vested interest in what is the main subject underlying this whole mess.

But, as I said, it has its flaws, in that it limits the scope of those who have
a stake to a particular subset. I would instead suggest that there be a number
of requirements, and members could qualify by meeting, say, any two of these
requirements.  This insures that we don't see a flood of clueless newbies, or
the hacker kiddies one of the DNSO.org guys mentioned the other day, that
really do not have a basic understanding of what is at issue in the DNSO.

>  This suggestion of a leader of ISPs and the layers above them
>  disenfranchises simple domain holders like me, and the layers below in the
>  tree. It's right in line with Einar Stefferud's former insistence that
>  connectivity providers represent the users: a blatant misrepresentation of
>  the facts, which are that the users, as pure consumers who gain nothing by
>  increased costs up and down the hierarchy, are not represented by anyone in
>  that hierarchy.

I think you mischaracterize Steff here.  But in any regard, might I suggest we
all stop worrying about personalities and more on the SUBSTANCE.  Not worry
about WHERE it came from, but what it does.  I myself will readily admit I have
been guilty of this, even earlier today.  But if we are to move on and come up
with some real solutions to these concerns, personalities need to be put aside.
 Time to get to the nuts and bolts and nothing more.

>  But enough. Neither Einar Stefferud, nor Kent Crispin, nor Michael Heltzer,
>  nor Dennis Jennings, nor anyone else is going to run the DNSO to the
>  disadvantage of myself and people like me. Not so long as I can still speak
>  and write and send e-mail messages.

Ever click on send and then read what you wrote when it comes back to the list
and regret sending it after all?  I've done that (today as a matter of fact).

I think before we all start getting caught up in this little street fights, we
take a step back and realize that none of us are going to be 100% happy with
the results, and accept that, and work together to come up with something that,
while not perfect, is rooted in a real concept of fairness and openness.

E-Mail: William X. Walsh <william@dso.net>
Date: 07-Feb-99
Time: 19:00:02
"We may well be on our way to a society overrun by hordes
of lawyers, hungry as locusts."
- Chief Justice Warren Burger, US Supreme Court, 1977