Re: Useful Comments Re: DNSO process and Drafts submitted to ICANN

At 09:49 PM 2/7/99 -0500, Michael Sondow wrote:
>John B. Reynolds a écrit:

>> Every domain name holder directly or
>> indirectly administers a DNS zone file.  Are you sure you're not
>> confusing "DNS zone" with "root zone"?
>
>No, the domain holders don't administer zone files. That's done by the ISPs
>and the layers above them in the hierarchy. My name isn't in my ISP's
>permissions file for changing RRs. I have no control over the MX records, or
>the CNAME aliases, or who is the secondary NS, or anything else to do with
>the zone files. I've been reading the BIND manual in my spare time. You
>can't kid me.

Hello Michael,

Not only do I manage all three MHSC zone files (MHSC.COM, MHSC.NET, and
MHSC-SYSTEMS.COM), I also manage the DNSO.NET zone and my own IN-ADDR.ARPA
zone. It doesn't stop there, I also run the ORSC root.zone. That's public
access. In addition I have three private zones for our internal VPN usage,
that are only accessible from within MHSC.NET, via private name servers.
Anyone with knowledge, a Unix system, and a full-time Internet connection
can do the same. One does not have to be an ISP. Pacific Bell, MCI, and
Wells Fargo Bank also control their own zone files.
Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer@mhsc.com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!