RE: Useful Comments Re: DNSO process and Drafts submitted to ICANN

Michael Sondow wrote:

> John B. Reynolds a écrit:
>
> > Every domain name holder directly or
> > indirectly administers a DNS zone file.  Are you sure you're not
> > confusing "DNS zone" with "root zone"?
>
> No, the domain holders don't administer zone files. That's done
> by the ISPs
> and the layers above them in the hierarchy. My name isn't in my ISP's
> permissions file for changing RRs. I have no control over the MX
> records, or
> the CNAME aliases, or who is the secondary NS, or anything else to do with
> the zone files. I've been reading the BIND manual in my spare time. You
> can't kid me.

You administer your zone indirectly by controlling which ISP runs it
directly.  You have the power to move your zone file to another provider, to
your own server (assuming sufficient Internet connectivity), or to a service
that would permit you to administer it directly.