Stef's 10 constituency DNSO proposal

My intention here is to open the public discussion of the lastest
melding draft exercise from a cross group effort including
participants from ORSC, AIP, IATLD, and taking iseads from CENTR,
DNSO.ORG, and from individual comments on public land provate lists.

I believe the single most controversial contentious issue is that of
membership and constituencies.  Our problem is not a lack of knowledge
asbout who are the constituents, but a lask of ability to figure out
how to afford tham all proper representation and gove them a voice in
the affairs of the budding DNS industry and its place in the ICANN
spondored competition for a winning proposal.

This is evidenced by a last minute split in the drafting team over
publishing the latest meld draft (*Draft* New Draft, 01/30 15:10EST).
The team decided to get the draft out for public review rather than
hold it in private with the hope of resolving the issue before
release.  It is my firm belief that the team's job is to package
controversy for public debate, rather than to bottle it up with
internal arguments to select the one right choice.

The current editing effort is intended to build the winning consensus
by finding resolutions for all the critical outstanding controversies.
So, here is an attack on what I think is the key crustial controversy.

To cover the issues, I am including the recent discussion of my
proposal as it occurred among the members of the editing team.  I
believe that this kind of discussion should be exposed to the public,
so I am exposing it here, without permission;-)...  My hope is that by
exposing it, you will see some of what has been happening inside the
team, and that this is an expeditious way to get the ideas on the
table for discussion.

Enjoy!!!...\Stef

For myself, I still think it is a good idea to set up contituencies
(though I seem to be heavily outvoted here).  My variation on
constituencies is to have lots of them, like 10, so none of them can
control things with a single voting alliance.

My logic is that with majority rule, and with a 50% quorum rule, any
25% block has 100% of control (in a bare quorum meeting), and that is
exactly what we call "capture"!

So, set up 10 constituencies so none have more than 10% of the vote,
and the result is to have represenation of at least 10 idenifiable
constituencies.  This may not be totally democratic, but it does deal
with things in a democratically representative mode, ala the US or
parliamentary systems.

My candidate constituencies for a DNSO are:

1.  Root Service Providers (mostly ignroed by all other drafts)

2.  ccTLD registries

3.  gTLD  registries  (ccTLDs and gTLDs are in fact different!)

4.  Registrar Service Providers (includes ISPs and others)

5.  DNS Zone Administrators at any level (TLD admins will be swamped)

6.  TM Interest Organizations

7.  Public Interest Organizations

8.  ISPs (ISPs will be wswamped in the Registrar Constituency)

9.  General Public Individuals

10. Other Commercial Interest Organizations.

These ten constiuencies than elect the Names Council Chair from
outside their membership, or find an 11th consituency and let them
elect from inside.  We need an odd number couting the chair who only
votes in case of a tie.

Now, with this much fragmentation, it would require that three
constituencies form an alliance in order to have 30% of the BoD votes,
and so none of these constituencies can seriously control the BoD.

So, it does not seem to me to matter too much whether voting power is
in fact distributed absoultely equally, as long as all constituencies
have a voice in the Board Room.

Now, to deal with the problems of GeoPolitical representation which is
frequently rearing its ugly head in these discussions, we should
mandate a "Regional Fair Hearing Panel" directly advising the BoD,
with panel members drawn from all regions that want a voice for their
regions.  The purpose of the panel is to listen to comments and
complaints and proposals and such based on regional issues, and advise
the BoD on how to deal with them.

Otherwise, we wind up overlaying the whole election process with a
need to assure regional equity in represntation through regional
apportionment within each constituency so we wind up with a two
diensional constituency definition problem.  (This is how DNSO.ORG
came to want 21 members (3 each for 7 constituencies).

And, with only one general class, any small region must clearly see
that it has no voting power what so ever.  So, I advocate this more
structured constituency representation membership scheme, with a fair
hearing panel to give voice to regional concerns that need to be
placed on the BoD table.

Yes, this is a compromise, but all schemes so far are compromises of
one kind or another, including "Approval Voting" as defined below,
which does nothing to protect or represent small regional
constituencies, or minor interest groups with good ideas.

Cheers...\Stef

}