Re: The DNSO is a special interest group now

On 17-Dec-98 Dave Crocker wrote:
> At 11:49 PM 12/16/98 -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>>This sounds a lot like what happened with IAHC. Even dumb animals learn.
>
> the recent content of this list -- such as this thread -- suggests otherwise.
>
> d/

Do you dispute that the DNSO is doing nothing but catering to CORE/PAB needs?

I have yet to see a single NON-CORE/PAB supporter indicate recently that they
feel the DNSO is being responsive to their interests in anything more than a
token fashion.  And I see MANY independent comments indicating that indeed
there is a lack of responsiveness to other interests.

Further, the entire DNSO drafting process, and most of the discussions, are
taking place on CLOSED lists.  What does the DNSO have to fear from OPEN list
discussions?

Quite simply, the DNSO needs to do the following things :

1) Open up ALL closed lists, and not setup any additional ones, even
surreptitiously.

2) Begin a concerted effort to address the many serious concerns addressed by a
large number of stakeholders outside the CORE/PAB power centers.

3) Postpone any submission of the DNSO application to ICANN.  The DNSO is not
ICANN, and it MUST directly address the concerns and needs of the wide array of
stakeholders in the domain name industry.  After all, this is the agency
charged with supporting the needs of the domain name industry as a whole to
ICANN.  Without a strong consensus of support amongst ALL stakeholders in this
industry, it can only claim to be serving the very limited and self-serving
interests of CORE and the PAB.  This is unacceptable.

In the absence of significant movement on this points in a rather rapid
fashion, I can assure you that another organization will be setup with a strong
basis for being as representative of all stakeholders as possible.  I am not
speaking of the ORSC, as after a discussion earlier tonight with another
participant, I think the ORSC is too highly politicalized to be able to obtain
the wide array of support that would be needed by an alternative organization.

Consider this a call to arms.  Disenfranchised stakeholders need to unite on
their consensus points or the CORE/PAB special interest DNSO will form and be
recognized in short order, and we will see the adoption of a system that
everyone knows is inherently flawed.

William X. Walsh (WXW7/WW1506)| TJ Network Services - The .TJ NIC
Network Operations            | http://tjns.tj / http://nic.tj
william@tjns.tj/william@nic.tj| Domain Names, DNS, Email,
+1-(209)-493-6144             | DynamicDNS & Web Hosting Services
Date: 17-Dec-98 / Time: 00:18:27