Re: [ifwp] Re: Proposal for a new ORSC/DNSO project

Kent and all,

Kent Crispin wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 06:46:14PM -0800, William X. Walsh wrote:

> > > It will end up fairly, just like it did before; and it will probably
> > > still end up in court, just like it did before; and the result will
> > > be roughly the same.
> >
> > I doubt it.  CORE has no more claim to .web than IOD did.  IANA was not
> > authorized by  NSF to delegate any of these.
>
> CORE has *never* said it has a claim on .web.  CORE's claim is that
> it is an IANA recognized registry, and that it will run *whatever*
> TLDs that IANA delegated to it.

  Problem with this comment, even at the time, is that the IANA did not
have the authority to delegate any TLD's and still doesn't.

> The idea of "having a claim" on a TLD is foreign to the fundamental
> philosophy behind CORE.  The gTLD MoU says that TLDs are a *public*
> resource.

  gTLD's should be considered a public resource indeed.  As such the
PUIBLIC
should be making this decision as to what gTLD's should be added and
whom,
and under what conditions or circumstances those gTLD's and managed.
Not
CORE, the IANA, or any DNSO, unless those organizations have an
Individual Membership Organization which has voting power on these
potential
policy decisions as Stakeholders/users.

> --
> Kent Crispin, PAB Chair                 "Do good, and you'll be
> kent@songbird.com                       lonesome." -- Mark Twain

Jeffrey A. Williams
CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-447-1894