Constituencies

Dear DNSO participants,

How do the attendees break themselves out by constituency?
Registry: 18
Registrars: 3
ISP and infrastructures: 7
Businesses: 1
TM: 2
At large: 3
(from the Monterrey meeting notes)

If businesses equate with the Domain Name Owners, we must all agree that
they were pretty badly underrepresented in the meeting.

Yet, the two most permanent constituencies are  the registry industry as a
whole vs. the people who will have to fork out the yearly fees.
These are not fluid like the others, but , until rights are recognised,
oppositions of interest.
Even the TM lobby is more fluid in comparison.

But no seats are reserved for the absent constituency: the people who will
have to pay for their Domain Name "licences" and ultimately finance this
representation feast.

Why would a Domain Name owners' representative want to sit on a board where
he is permanently outvoted by opposing interests?
Who wants to sit there, merely to lend some legitimacy to what already
looks like a producers' cartel?

The  way you are going to get participation from those who want to advocate
the interests of the paying public is through this list.

If that is what is wanted, I recommend a formal structure to make it possible.

Joop Teernstra LL.M.
Democratic Association of  Domain  Name  Owners
http://www.democracy.org.nz