Re: [ifwp] Re: Microsoft's new browser

Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Ok lets stop right here Greg.  What questions did you ask your ISP
>withrespect to what Root server's they route to?  Second, what
>browser are you using? Third, are you dialing in?  If so what dialup
>software are you using?

Recall, for the purposes of this exercise, I am a *naive* user.  I
don't know anything about alternate or shared root zones.  I took my
recommendation from a friend, who does not know anything about this
stuff either (and does not need to, because by coincidence, never
needs to resolve a name in any of those zones).

You can make no assumptions about any software I might be using,
except that it runs on Linux.  I might be using lynx, for all you
know.

>And this is the crux of the problem.  Information is not a readily
>availableas it should be for users to know.

The burden is upon you, the provider of alternative service, to make
this information available, if you expect anyone who might use the
'net to make use of it.

>And what information is available, people like Kent Crispin and Dave
>Crocker scoff at as being untrue or inaccurate and organizations like
>the IANA, IETF, IAB, ISOC, WIPO don't want users to know either.

With good reason.  As I recall, you were the one who told me
www.sheesh was accessible by best.com systems.

If you provide me with some accurate information, like a list of IP
addresses that service your alternative roots, I might have a bit more
faith.

--gregbo