Re: [ifwp] Re: Microsoft's new browser

Greg and all,

Greg Skinner wrote:

> Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Ok lets stop right here Greg.  What questions did you ask your ISP
> >withrespect to what Root server's they route to?  Second, what
> >browser are you using? Third, are you dialing in?  If so what dialup
> >software are you using?
>
> Recall, for the purposes of this exercise, I am a *naive* user.

  And as I replied, this is the problem.  Ignorance of the user community.You
can only remain ignorant if you CHOOSE to do so.  How does the Bible,
put it, "Ask and ye shall receive?"  Or something like that.  And maybe,
"Seek and ye shall find".

> I don't know anything about alternate or shared root zones.  I took my
> recommendation from a friend, who does not know anything about this
> stuff either (and does not need to, because by coincidence, never
> needs to resolve a name in any of those zones).

  Be careful of whom you take advice from, would be my watch words inmy
response.  Improvise, adapt, overcome.

> You can make no assumptions about any software I might be using,
> except that it runs on Linux.  I might be using lynx, for all you
> know.

  True but I can find out.

> >And this is the crux of the problem.  Information is not a readily
> >availableas it should be for users to know.
>
> The burden is upon you, the provider of alternative service, to make
> this information available, if you expect anyone who might use the
> 'net to make use of it.

  Agreed completely.  And we have done allot of this.  Here for example,though a
small example.  Spread the word, Greg.  These are some of the
things the IANA/ISI, NSI, IETF, and ISOC should be doing and are not
if it involves commercially avalible software of any kind.

> >And what information is available, people like Kent Crispin and Dave
> >Crocker scoff at as being untrue or inaccurate and organizations like
> >the IANA, IETF, IAB, ISOC, WIPO don't want users to know either.
>
> With good reason.  As I recall, you were the one who told me
> www.sheesh was accessible by best.com systems.

  No I was not.

> If you provide me with some accurate information, like a list of IP
> addresses that service your alternative roots, I might have a bit more
> faith.

  Deltanet is one.