[comments-whois]

[comments-whois] Whois Comments

1) On Whois info accessibility

We do not agree applying restrictions on Whois information, because it is the only way for others to address the domain owner. At least the restriction shall not exclude the basic information a domain owner should have (e.g. Expiration date, name & address, contact & email). A Whois shall be made accessible FREELY worldwide, with basic domain & owner info, others such as technical & billing contact can be eliminated from display.

2) On Whois info uniformity

We do agree a standard format of Whois info be used across different registrars, or similarly to what a "thick registry model" presents on the Whois info. The current practice is too diversified that causes some important domain info being hide by a few registrars, and worse, completely not available without password access. It shall be consolidated.

3) Marketing use of Whois data

We do not think marketing use of Whois data is inappropriate, domain owner has the right to always review the marketing materials before committing. There is also many marketing materials which provides correct, useful and updated info to domain owner. The judgement should come from domain owner, not from registrar and any other party.