It has failed under the current system, and will fail under the new system
since there is
NO practical way to assign and enforce domain name usage. The 3 reasons are:

#1) Domains are VERY often registered before an endeavor is started,
so how can a registrar gauge the intent of the registrant with respect to
either domain speculation or site content that would enable it's gTLD
assignment to be verified.

#2) The administrative/bureaucratic infrastructure needed to implement an,
AT BEST, marginally successful
registration screening would be prohibitively time consuming, expensive, and
would slow down the registration process
to a possibly growth stifling extent.

#3)  Even if the above 2 objective could be achieved, there is NO value to
gTLD's because:

If there are just a few gTLD's like 7, then they are too broad to accurately
categorize . (ie sportswear legitimately falls
under sportwear.firm, sportswear.shop, sportswear.web, and sportswear.rec)

if there are many gTLD's like 200 . . then they categorize better, but there
are now  MANY of them and there is LESS
of a difference between them, SO THEY CAN"T BE REMEMBERED.

The solution is to move the gTLD number a little highter to about. . 46,000!
. . in other words, eliminate them by embracing them.

Clearly, we need to progressively move towards a KEYWORD system that is
supported through our existing DNS resolution system.

SIMPLIFIED DOMAINS DOES THIS AND CONSEQUENTLY DESERVES VERY SERIOUS
CONSIDERATION. IT'S ALL READY TO GO.  IT WORKS!

-Critical comments are welcome.

-Jason