[comments-admin] Re: Multiple TLD registrations coming home to roost

At 08:06 AM 5/3/00 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>Dean Robb wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I heard an interesting commercial on the radio.  It was for a
>> regional bank, announcing their new online banking service component.  What
>> caught my attention was their address:  www.bankname.ORG.  Yes, that's
>> .ORG.  For a business.
>
>Selling .ORG registrations to businesses is one of the most unfair
>and inexcusable betrayals of the Internet that NSI has perpetrated.
>It is also a blatant violation of the RFCs. NSI must either cancel
>all commercial registrations in .ORG, or ICANN must create a new TLD
>exclusively for non-commercial entites.
>
>Amidst all the loud clamoring of trademarks and famous names for
>protection, we the legitimate non-commercial organizations are
>having our TLD (not to mention our SLDs) sold out from under us.
>
>The hypocrisy of these craven and despicable ICANNers is without
>limit.

While I agree that ICANN needs to address the issue; I lay the blame for
the problem squarely at the feet of NSI.  Many of us have complained for
years about NSI's encouraging the dilution of the namespace.  It used to be
just a case of not policing the registrations and a negligent dilution.
But when they launched WorldNIC and began to actively invite folks to
cross-register, they violated the spirit, if not the letter, of the RFCs
and have added to any namespace confusion.

"Microsoft is not a monopoly!" - Bill Gates   "HA!" - Judge Jackson

Dean Robb
Owner, PC-EASY
(757) 495-EASY [3279]
On-site computer services