[comments-admin] Re: Multiple TLD registrations coming home to roost

Dean Robb wrote:

> While I agree that ICANN needs to address the issue; I lay the blame for
> the problem squarely at the feet of NSI.

While it's true that NSI's "profit at any cost" attitude towards the
Internet is the fundamental cause of the corruption of .ORG, ICANN
is supposed, with all its clamor about safeguards and protections,
to ascertain whether TLDs are being used for their purpose. After
all, what's the point of creating new TLDs if none of them are going
to be used properly?

Furthermore, the GAC, the DNSO, and the ICANN Board are making a lot
of noise about re-allocating ccTLDs if their registries are not
employing them properly, or not employing them in accord with their
governments' wishes. Isn't there an old saying about cleaning your
own house before complaining about your neighbor's? Everyone with a
.ORG registration must feel defrauded when they read about
registrations like that of bankname.org. I should think the first
thing ICANN would do, regarding TLDs, is clean up the existing ones,
if ICANN's intentions are at all what it says they are, rather than
mere bullying and pandering to commercial interests.

Michael Sondow           I.C.I.I.U.     http://www.iciiu.org
Tel. (718)846-7482                        Fax: (603)754-8927