Re: [registrars] WG-B Idea - Thumbs up or Thumbs down

I would think a waiting period would REDUCE litigation.  It would help catch
innocent infringement by a domain name applicant before the applicant
invested significant funds and energy in the name..

But the idea raises an interesting point.  I always thought the intent of
the various proposals was to protect two opposing camps: 1) existing
trademark owners from infringement or dilution and 2) domain name applicants
from selecting a name that someone else had prior rights to.  But so far,
the various proposals have focused on the rights of the first camp.

I wonder if new ideas would surface if we took the perspective of the second
camp--the applicant.  How do we prevent innocent domain name applicants from
putting themselves into a potentially litigious situation?  While UDRP
exists to handle disputes, are we putting into place the right checks or
systems to prevent disputes in the first place?

Tom