Re: [registrars] Answers to Bob Connelly's Concerns

At 20:50 19-02-2000 -0500, Michael D. Palage wrote:

>Although I respect Bob Connelly, I personally disagree with his opinions and
>have obtained guidance from ICANN's legal counsel, Louie Tuton, on how to
>proceed in this matter. For those that are interested in this ongoing saga
>read on. For those that will be casting votes, for reasons set forth below,
>I hereby excuse myself from any further involvement in this NC run-off
>election. Either Erica or Ken will tabulate and announce the winner.
>
>Connelly Concern #1 - "Mystery By-Laws"
>
>The "by-laws" which I have referred to during the last two ballots are the
>Registrar Constituency by-laws (a.k.a. Constituency Articles) which we
>drafted and adopted in Berlin. These can be located on-line at
>http://www.dnso.org/constituency/registrars/Registrars.Articles.html .

Dear Michael:

And I, too, admire you for your abilities.

Since you are a barrister, I know you realize that documents such as
by-laws. Articles of Association and constitutions are signed by those
forming the association and are accepted by those joining it after the
fact.  They are dated at some point.

The document posted above lacks official "dignity" as it is devoid of a
date. It would also normally have some statement of who signed it.  If, as
you state, we drafted these by-laws and accepted them in Berlin, one would
expect the date of acceptance to be shown.  I find no such indication on
the document.  I believe several of us did sign them before departing from
Berlin.

Let's look at some of the provisions:

IV Voting

1. Registrar Constituency members shall have one vote per member,
irrespective of the size or the number of domain names registered.

2. Registrar Constituency members will have the ability to vote via a proxy
arrangement.

3. Observers shall have no voting rights.

end quote:

Thus, the by-laws were moot on the point of the time for
elections.  However, I remember Amadeu stating in open session that it
should not be less than one week and that the nominations should not take
less than one week.  Thus, we recognized that our Constituency would not be
able to participate in the first meetings of the NC (other Constituencies
were already in place by the end of the Berlin meeting.)

I am puzzled by the fact that you have repeatedly ignored my reference to
the Email of Andrew dated 31 May 1999, immediately after the close of our
Berlin meetings: