Re: [registrars] Deep Thoughts re: NSI Agreement

What is it that sucks?

Esther Dyson

At 12:22 pm 10/13/1999 -0400, Matthew Cockman wrote:
>Fellow Registrars:
>
>I have been chewing on this new registrar agreement. My legal opinion: It
>totally sucks.
>
>The agreement is bad not only in what it says, but what is doesn't say. Some
>of you know that AIT (the parent company of Name-IT) is prepared to take the
>lead on a legal solution, if a political solution doesn't work. Shortly I
>will distribute a marked up copy of the agreement articulating why it is
>absolutely essential that this agreement be fixed -- preferably with ICANN's
>consent and endorsement.
>
>I worry that ICANN's financial woes, in view of NSI's plan to throw in $1.5
>million, doesn't somehow make the less desireable aspects of the agreement a
>little more palatable.
>
>I am not trying make trouble here. But, everyone of us, as registrars, will
>be the most profoundly affected group, as a result of the egregious terms of
>the agreement.
>
>Let us all resolve to do what is not only in OUR best interests, but what is
>in the best interests of the Internet community.
>
>Hope to see all of you in L.A.
>
>Matt
>
>Matthew J. Cockman (mcockman@aitcom.net)
>General Counsel
>Advanced Internet Technologies, Inc. (www.aitcom.net)
>536 Ramsey Street
>Fayetteville, NC 28301
>Phone: 910-485-2383; 910-485-3377
>Fax: 910-485-2831
>N.C. State Bar # 18132

Esther Dyson			Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
interim chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
edyson@edventure.com
1 (212) 924-8800    --  1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

High-Tech Forum in Europe:  24 to 26 October 1999, Budapest
PC Forum: 12 to 15 March 2000, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.1: A design for living in the digital age"