[registrars] srs interface

>Suzanne,
>
>Suzanne Baylor wrote:
> > WebTrends Corporation started as a software development company
>and has extensive expertise in databases, Java, Solaris, etc.  When
>we have completed our SRS interface we are planning to offer our
>open source code to all other accredited registrars (who have
>completed any pertinent NDA agreements with NSI) and to ICANN at no
>charge. There is no point in re-inventing the wheel 52-plus times at
>untold expense to everyone.
>
>I think this is a great move!  I know WebTrends has some great
>technology, and first rate developers.
>
>Just a note, I believe Jason Hendeles from dotpower (jason@dotpower.com)
>has been working on setting up an open source development project to
>do just what you propose.  I am sure he would welcome your assistance.
>You may want to touch base with him to see what the status of their
>progress is.

We also plan to develop and make available to other companies an
interface to the SRS, but I have to admit, we'd much rather not have
to deal with the SRS at all and instead be allowed to develop our own
SRS which was part of the original ICANN agreement.

I wonder how other accredited registrars feel about this change in
the implementation of the shared registration system. Personally, we
prefer to always have our own software run on our network and then
connect with the external entity on a specified port. It's this
paradigm that the internet was built upon.

Sincerely,

Thomas Cunningham

  President
  Alabanza, Inc.