RE: [registrars] Quick Catch-up post...

> Correct me if I am wrong, but the only difference between a registrant
> transfer and a registrar transfer is that a registrar transfer would be
> attempted without the knowledge of the registrant(?). In all other cases,
> the registrant initiates the change, and the registrar is simply acting as
> an agent. I can say for a fact that this is already affecting my business
> because of the fact that this has not been dealt with by ICANN, NSIr and
> register.com.

In my terminology a "registrant transfer" is related to the transfer of an already registered domain name to a new owner.
A "registrar transfer" is related to moving a registered domain name to another registrar.

> > Obviously many of the registrars will develop such a service. IF we need
> one common centralized whois server (with decentralized data?) it
> should be
> maintained by somebody independent. However, I think we would be
> better off
> with a strict specification (ICANN!) for the whois service run by each of
> us. Then it would be a easy task for anyone interested to cross
> interface to
> the Registry and the registrars' whois servers.
>
> Our thinking is that this should be a wholly distributed service with
> shared, decentralized data. I should have been more careful with
> my previous
> wording. My main point was that, as registrars, we must all have immediate
> access to complete, comprehensive registrant data for registrations that
> have not been facilitated by us directly. If this means a
> centralized whois
> system, then let's do it. If there are better options, let's hear
> them. As I
> mentioned, we are 100% willing to invest significant resources
> towards this
> end.

I would say we'd reach that goal with a strict spec for our whois services since the registry (currently NSIregistry ;) ) is already running a whois service listing references to the current registrar <http://www.nsiregistry.com>.

Best regards,

Per-Anders Hurtigh, Ports