Re: [registrars] End of Testbed?

As it currently stands, pre/post test-bed status seems to be largely
irrelevant. Unless the DOC is successful in negotiating better rates for
registry insertion and NSI is open to negotiating the Registrar contracts,
it doesn't matter one iota whether we are able to register names. NSI is
proposing that registrars sign a completely ludicrous agreement that no sane
firm should even consider.

Even if the DOC deemed that the original agreements were non-negotiable, I
cannot believe that any of the test bed registrars actually signed them. Any
firm that has any sort of responsibility to their shareholders is doing them
a grave injustice by committing to this agreement.

To quote from the executive summary of our about-to-be-released "Final
Public Comment On Network Solutions Registrar License Agreement" document;

"In effect, the terms of the RLA (Registrar License Agreement) as it stands
would a) serve to extend NSOL's monopoly beyond the terms of the NTIA
Cooperative Agreement (CA), b) provide unilateral and unchecked control over
the SRS (and by extension, to those who can and cannot access it) to NSOL c)
provides NSOL with undue and excessive revenue streams from unnecessary
licensing fees and exorbitant per transaction costs and d) attempts to
contract with the registrars for legal standing beyond that which is
guaranteed by the CA, its successor documents and US Civil law.

NSOL's RLA, if left unchanged, represents the single largest barrier to open
competition in the global SLD name space. The bureaucratic, operational and
technical principles implied, and stated, within the RLA are wholly at odds
with the cooperative nature of the larger Internet, the NTIA CA and the
organizational structure represented by ICANN. NSOL's RLA, if left
unchanged, represents the single largest barrier to open competition in the
global SLD name space."

We will be releasing this document 06/25/1999 to all interested and involved
parties.  I will also be sure to forward a copy to this list.

Anyways, back to my original premise. I fully believe that if we are to see
forward movement with this process, we all must be come at least as involved
and active as NSI, ICANN and the DOC. This is simply to important to sit
back and allow NSI to dictate the terms of the process based on contractual
loopholes and the influence of Washington lobbyists.

Ross Wm. Rader
Director, eCommerce
TUCOWS/Domain Direct
t. (416) 239-9095 x 335