RE: [registrars] Richard D. Forman - Background and Qualifications - Names Council

Ivan and Registrar Constituency,

Thank you for your questions.  My answers are contained in the email below:

Cybersquatting for an domain name that is never paid for is wrong and just a
waste of everyone's time and resources.  I'm quite glad that the ICANN
contract requires prepayment for a domain name.  I hope that all registrars
will be required to operate this way.

Cybersquatting is sometimes also referred to as speculation.  When a domain
name registrant speculates (buys a name intentionally and solely for later
resale) I believe that this is wrong as well.   There are instances,
however, when someone registers a name for bona-fide use (i.e. art.com) and
later sells that name to another business that places a greater value on the
name.  In the example of art.com, I believe that it was sold for
$500,000.00.  These examples are much more difficult to pass judgement upon.

Requiring registrants to use credible information before entering the name
into the DNS is a great idea.  I believe, however, that it might be tough to
monitor and enforce.

Thanks for your time.  If anyone has any further questions for me, please
feel free to send me an email at mailto:rforman@register.com

Richard D. Forman
Register.com