From: Jim Archer [mailto:jarcher@registrationtek.com]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 2:08 AM
To: Cute, Brian; 'Michael D. Palage'; registrars@dnso.org;
cgomes@verisign.com
Subject: RE: [registrars] FYI - Fraud Update

Hi Brian...

There is a direct connection to the whois.  A service such as this needs
data.  As much data as possible.  Whois is a great source of data for such
a system and if this quote from Mr. Stratton is accurate, it would seem
Verisign does plan to use whois data in this service.

Here is a quote from an Information Week article about this service:

   VeriSign chairman and CEO Stratton Sclavos said
   Wednesday the company will combine geographical information culled
   from its domain registry service with other data from its credit-card
   clearinghouse service to thwart potential online fraudsters.

The article further said:

   Online crooks often set up a cell-phone
   account and a domain-name address when they're planning to commit
   fraud. "They want a place you can call and E-mail them," she says.

see Information Week, June 19, 2003:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=10700490

Of course, attempting to use whois data from any purpose other than that
for which the customer disclosed it may be problematic.  When we collect
data from a customer we make certain promises on how it will be used.

Brian and Chuck, can either of you find out for sure if Verisign plans to
use whois data to implement this service?  If so, will they be using whois
data just from NSI or from all registrars?

Brian, as a nominee to the whois privacy committee, what is your position
on Verisign or any other company using whois data to implement a non-domain
industry service?  Do you feel it is appropriate for a company to acquire
the whois data via port 43 interface and use it for any purpose they
desire?  If so, should the registrars from who the data was extracted be
compensated in any way?

Jim

--On Thursday, June 19, 2003 1:15 PM -0400 "Cute, Brian"