[registrars]

[registrars] Code of Conduct - Way Forward

Hello All:

I believe a registrar code of conduct would be a very valuable contribution
to the industry. However, people must realize that it is a VERY complex
issue. Just because it is complex does not mean that it is not worth
pursuing a solution.

Perhaps the discussion in Montreal could deal with a frame work for tackling
the problem instead of a substantive discussion that will need much more
than 30 min. Issues that could be talked about within a frame work context
are:

(1) can the code of conduct be developed internally within the constituency
or does it need GNSO approval?
(2) how would the code of conduct be incorporated into our existing
contractual obligations?
(3) how would the code of conduct be mandated upon resellers/channel
partners?
(4) how would this code of conduct be enforced?
(5) Since ICANN has no contract with resellers/channel partners can they
enforce these agreements?
(6) If there is no enforcement mechanism, what good does a code of conduct
serve?

Let me stress that I have in the past and continue to support the idea of
moving forward with a code of conduct, however, the constituency must
approach this topic with reasonable expectations and a fundamental
understanding of what can and cannot be achieved given the realities of the
marketplace and contractual constraints.

Best regards,

Mike