[registrars]

Re: FW: [registrars] Representation on the GNSO WHOIS privacysteering group (fwd)

Hi Elana

--On Friday, June 13, 2003 10:31 AM -0400 Elana Broitman
<ebroitman@register.com> wrote:

> While I would not think it appropriate to criticize any member
> specifically, no matter what I personally think; the point you're raising

Well, this is an election.  I would normally not want to take any member to
task, but this is an odd case.  I don't think we can have a good discussion
of this issue without being specific.  In general, I don't think we can
have an informed electorate without discussing the candidates.

> may point to the need to resurrect the voluntary guidelines or a code of
> practices which the constituency had passed about two and a half years
> ago.

Maybe, maybe not.  This ties into my long standing position that too much
regulation is a bad thing and that the market is the best regulator.  We
already have laws (in every country) that identify prohibited practices
(fraud, deceptive marketing, and so on) and we have courts to enforce these
laws.  Beyond that, I prefer to let the market govern.  If customers don't
like what registrar X does there is always registrar Y, and Z, and A...

> It was hoped at the time to have a voluntary code by which registrars
> would abide.  With all appropriate antitrust guidance in mind, of course,
> it may be time to resurrect that idea and promote constituency members to

For the reason cited above, I respectfully disagree.

Cheers!

Jim

James W. Archer
CEO