[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Credit card fraud and transfers

Hello Tom,

To be clear - at this stage I am responding as an member of the
registrar constituency.
The majority of my posts to the registrars list are in that context, and
I never present my own or company view, when there exists a registrars
constituency position, or a GNSO position.  At this stage I am merely
participating in the discussion, and have no more say than any other
member of the constituency.

> I can see how Melbourne IT's experience of relying on large
> resellers has shaped your perspective.  It certainly allows
> you to take alternate forms of payment and therefore are not
> experiencing the same sort of problems as registrars with a
> retail model.

Agreed.

> But there is certainly nothing typical about retail domain
> name "customer not present" sales when it comes to protection
> against charge-backs and other credit card fraud.
> Especially, when you factor in that registries keep full
> payment even if the domain name is cancelled with years still
> remaining on the registration.

Most retailers need to pay their upstream suppliers for products.  There
is nothing unique about domain name registration.   I am not against
protection against charge backs, just against penalising the majority of
registrants that do the right thing.

Regards,
Bruce