-----Original Message-----
From: Cute, Brian [mailto:bcute@networksolutions.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 March 2003 11:47 AM
To: 'Michael D. Palage'; registrars@dnso.org

Michael,

I agree with you that sending a signal to other constituencies that we
are willing to work with them through a given process is important.
However, I think we can achieve that in other ways.  The motion calls
for the elimination of Bulk WHOIS.  The position is by nature extreme in
the sense that it is not really a negotiable position at the outset --
we would not settle for partial elimination or unduly delayed
elimination, right?  The real issue for other constituencies is whether
they can live with the impact of its elimination or not.  That's where
the heavy lifting, in terms of persuasion, will come in for us.
For better or worse, I don't believe that hard core opponents will be
swayed by softening the motion.  I think that outreach to potential
supporters will be best made once our position is in play.  What's
important is that, when we refer the motion -- if approved by ballot --
we will be asking ICANN to initiate a policy making process that by
design incorporates all
constituencies' voices.

Therefore, I would suggest that the motion go to ballot as written.  I
agree that it should be on extended voting of 2 weeks.  I think we
should discuss fully the point you raise and our strategy in moving this
forward as an agenda item in Rio.

Regards,
Brian