[registrars]

[registrars] Variable Quorum requirements, variable time limits for ballots on various issues

At 09:57 AM 3/19/03 -0500, Ross Wm. Rader wrote:
Regarding quorum, etc., you say that a minimum of 10% is too low and that
50% of the members must cast a vote in order for it to be binding. I say
that this number is far too high for most practical purposes but that in any
event, 10% of eligible voters to a minimum of ten voters might be too low
anyway.  I also agreed with you that we need to set the bar higher for
bylaws amendments than we do for other more regular matters. Is this a fair
summary of the salient points of our discussion thus far?

Dear Colleagues:  Please let me thrust my oar into this dialogue;-)

1.  Michael Palage has proposed that the mandatory dues requirement be dropped in the new By-Laws.  Doing so will increase the number of eligible registrars.

2. Some ICANN Accredited Registrars may have a limited interest in our deliberations.  Some may not be actively taking registrations at all.  Some may not even be in business any more.  There needs to be a vehicle to determine who is really out there and interested.

3. I was faced with this problem when PAB was first formed.  All we were given was a list of Email addresses of all signatories to the IAHC MoU.  I sent mail to all (with return receipt requested), asking that each actively reply (not relying upon the RR request).  After a dwell time of about 3 weeks, we had some idea of the size of our "Universe" of active PAB members.  As I remember it, it was about 50, about one-third of the number of signatories.

4. I propose that we use a similar system to quantify the universe of active, interested ICANN Accredited Registrars.  In so doing, the time period for response needs to be much more than one week.

5. That said, this consideration suggests that there is a second variable we can apply to votes on major issues such as By-Law changes.  I suggest that the quorum percentage *and* time period that the ballot is kept open be larger for such major issues.  Mike's attached proposed amendment to Brian's motion on Bulk Transfers suggests such a mechanism.  Further, when we want to establish a policy on an issue of great importance, the percentage of voters participating will be seen a measure of our credibility on the issue at hand.

Oar back in my canoe.  (It's really a "paddle", not an oar;-)

Regards, BobC