[registrars]

[registrars] Re: Credit Card Proposal

This may be premature but maybe is would be a worthwhile endeavor to hire an
outside attorney to advise us on what information we can share and what
safeguards need to be employed on this data.

If we can develop our own database on credit card fraud within our industry
it would only be a benefit to all involved.   From what I can tell we have
not had co-operation from the credit card issuing companies, or registry's
on this matter, and why should they,  the issue is not costing either of
them money.

Pushing for legislation of FTC action would help to solve the problem in the
jurisdiction of the laws but will do little for cross border fraud.   Once
we have done all we can internally to help battle credit card fraud, then
maybe we can approach the banking institutions regarding their policy.  As a
group we have how many millions of dollars in credit card transactions?  how
much do we pay (in aggregrate) to the credit card processing companies just
for processing fees?  A lot of money is being earned by the banks on the
fees we pay.  We shold be able to use it as a negotiating tool to get better
terms from the banks and better support on these issues, either as
individual registrars or as a group.

My second proposal would be to invite banks and credit card processing
companies to our next meeting, tell them of the issues we face and let them
present solutions they can provide to our group.  Let them compete for our
business.  If only one of the companies responds to our needs, it is
possible that many of us will change to that company for our processing.
That would generate more competition within the industry for our business...
Let the market work to our advantage on this issue.