[registrars]

Re: [registrars] RE: Credit Card Proposal

Michael D. Palage wrote:

> The one thing I took out of the FTC meeting last week, is that the FTC is
> looking for people to help them catch the bad guys.

That was the surface message.  The deeper message and real "risk" to
Registrars (in the USA) is that Registrars shall be _obligated_ to
verify the identity of the registrant before processing the
registration.  How - they did not discuss - but the costs they implied
should be bourne by the Registrar - In a market where margins are
already tight - such costs will push the registry registration fee into
insignificance. One presenter suggested it took between 2 and 3 man
hours per registraiton to validate an address!!!

  I believe tackling the
> credit card problem needs to be done through multiple channels: registrars
> employing available safeguards, law enforcement trying to catch the bad
> people, and registries helping us with the credit card charge back issue.

I don't know if you were there on the Wednesday Mike, but the guys from
the Credit Card companies made it clear- they are not in the business of
sharing information - even  if it means the disclosure of stolen/invalid
  cards.  They inferred that there were approx 190m chargebacks in
Canada and the USA last year and at a charge back rate (levied on the
merchant) of between $15 and $25 per chargeback - the banks were not
going to spend money (unless pushed by the FTC) to change their business
(profit) making practices.

> This is a problem which needs collective help.

I agree and one significant step is for the FTC to pressure the Banking
institutions (which really means Visa/MCard and Discovery) to sharpen up
their act and work collectively (to assist the merchants) catch the bad
guys.

Another useless statistic - but not irrelevant - Credit Card Processors
(Banks) have reduced their fraud losses from 20c/$100 to 7c/$100 in the
last 3 years.  When fraud has been rising - this really means that the
Credit Card Merchant has been the guarantor for the Banks.

IMHO it is better to pressure the FTC into action on the Banks - than
take the easy route by rolling over and paying the price....

Best

Paul