From: owner-registrars@dnso.org [mailto:owner-registrars@dnso.org]On
Behalf Of Patricio Valdes
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 8:32 AM
To: Gomes, Chuck; 'Bhavin Turakhia'; registrars@dnso.org
Subject: RE: [registrars] Canceling Renewals?

Chuck,

If a registrar does not have confidence that its procedures are not yet
solid enough to prevent erroneous extensions or to prevent fraudulent new
registrations, then it might be a good idea to simply handle multi-year
registrations in this manner: 1) initially register or renew a name for only
one year with VGRS; 2) during the first 60 days or so of the new/renewed
registration period, perform internal quality checks and apply fraud
management techniques; 3) if internal quality checks and fraud investigation
yield positive results, then extend the name for multiple years.

----This used to be a good idea, but like I mentioned in a previous thread,
this can no longer be done after Verisign decided to show full expiration
date on Whois.

Again, who's the only one winning here? Why did they do it in the first
place? Beats me, I really do not know who benefits from showing expiration
date on Internic's whois, except Verisign and Hackers who register using
fraudalent credit cards to register domains.

Patricio Valdes
Parava Networks