[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Canceling Renewals?

Hi chuck,

> Lengthening the delete pending period would lead to huge
> abuse by speculators.

Can you explain to me the potential to abuse here?? Considering that a
deleted domain is available only after 30 days, and when it is available
it could then be picked up by anyone, it cannot possibly foster
speculation.

I believe there may be a miscommunication here from my part. Typically
speculators can misuse the add grace period. Where if a dopmain is
deleted within 5 days it becomes immediately available and so a
speculator can keep deleting and reregistering the name without paying
the fees for the same. Offcourse his registrar would need to support him
on this (which a registrar has no eason to do). And additonally if this
is done on any medium scale the operations would be obvious in your logs

However if you have a period of 60 days (watever we call it) during
which if a registrar deletes a name a refund is given to the registrar
for that domain name, then it can only be used by the registrar to knock
off names which were fraudulently registered. I cannot think of any
misuse for the same. Since once the domain is deleted say on the 59th
day, it would go into RGP and be available only after 30 days

> Keep in mind that I was only talking about a limited time
> (e.g., 60 days), not an indefinite period.  Regardless, why

Same here

> not just do one year adds or renewals until you have the
> evidence you need for a particular customer to warrant a
> multi-year registration/renewal?

When a customer orders a multi-year domain name he expects us to
register a multi-year domain name and expects to see the same reflect in
the whois data. Therefore we cannot penalise the genuine customers by
doing single year adds, and then adding the remaining years after a
certain period, primarily because the internic registry displays the
expiry date

> We are interested in helping registrars with this problem and
> will continue to explore ways we can help, so lets keep the
> dialog going.

Perfecto :) - we want to help you help us :)

Best Regards
Bhavin Turakhia
Founder, CEO & Chairman
Directi