[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Canceling Renewals?

Hi tim,

The issue is

1. it does NOT take 60 days to obtain payment from the bank. That
happens immediately. It takes 60 days to verify if the transaction is
fraudulent or not (because im assuming most chargebacks occur in 60
days)

2. genuine customers will perceive this as a service lag. They would
rather do business with a registrar then who will credit them
immediately for the domain years. If they have bought a 5 year name,
they want a 5 year name. Why should they have to bother to check again
after 60 days and remember that their registrar is supposed to add 4
more years to the registration. What if the registrar does not add those
4 years. It would remain as a thought with the customer.

3. despite informing customers, I know that most customers generally do
not read a barrage of emails that they get and will still go and check
the whois and then call technical support as to why their expiry date is
showing only 1 year when they paid for 5

4. the method you are suggesting is something customers are not used to
and it will take a large amount of time for this information to spread
(assuming this practice is adopted by all registrars)

5. the issue with this method is there will always be a faction of
registrars who will adopt it and a faction who will not, creating
further confusion amongst customers, whereby customers will argue with a
registrar as to why they follow this type of a practice when other
registrars do not. Additionally since there will not be universal
adoption it will result in confusion and lack of a common standard

6. you must agree that if a solution which DOES NOT penalise the genuine
customers, and yet at the same time allows protection to the registrars
(without allowing any gaming) exists, then it makes more sense to adopt
that as a long term feasible solution

Bhavin

PS: ummm in the end - are you against getting a refund for deleted names
which are fraudulently registered :) ..... Cuz im sure you have to
battle CC fraud yourself