[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Recovery during grace period.

Hello Chuck,

From:
http://www.icann.org/bucharest/redemption-topic.htm

"Under the proposal, the Delete Pending Period would be extended from five (5) days to thirty (30) days, and would be expanded to cover almost all names deleted by registrars (the only exception would be for names deleted within the first five days after their initial registration). The new proposed RESTORE capability would effectively undo the unintentional deletion, returning the name to the state it was in prior to its deletion."

I think we have an unintended consequence of this change related to the 5 day grace period to recover a name without penalty to the registrar.

The idea was to extend the time available to recover a deleted domain name, but also avoid gaming.

Similar to the auto-renew issue, this seems more like another financial issue.

Would Verisign consider allowing a 5 day grace period following a delete before the registrar is charged for a RESTORE?  This would not require ICANN approval as far as I understand (ie it is a drop in charge rather than an increase in charge).

From an ICANN perspective, I think we could also get approved a 5 day grace period following a delete before the processes for providing justification are required.  ie within the first 5 days it should be possible to recover the name using the RESTORE command, but no other information would need to be provided.

Regards,
Bruce