[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Proposed By-Law Amendment

Mike,

comments in line.

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Michael D. Palage wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Under this proposed wording of Ross' by-law amendment, not only would I have
> to step down as chair of the registrar constituency but I would be precluded
> from future participation in this constituency because in my capacity as a
> consultant to Afilias I have assisted in accrediting registrars during the
> launch of .info and the transition or .org. During this accreditation
> process I had access to financial documents which were required for each
> registrar's accreditation. After the initial accreditation, the day to day
> financial operations are handled by the accounting types.

If you were to step down I would call for immediate elections, as the only
remaining and active excom member.

> I submit that my access to Afilias' documents last year had no impact on my
> leadership role, and the access to primarily the same documents one year
> later in connection with PIR will have no similar impact.

I just called 1877.4.dot.ORG and asked one simple question, "who is
general council for PIR." The response I received is surprising. The
persons response was "Michael Palage."

As chair of the registrars constituency your allegiance should be for the
registrars and I conclude that holding both the chairmanship of this
constituency and the position of "General Council for PIR" are conflicting
positions.

> If the registrars want me to cease participation in the registrar
> constituency I have no problem with that. In fact I am up for reelection in
> a couple of months. I just want people to know what they are voting for and
> its potential impact.

I think you need to choose who you want to represent and it can't be both
registries and registrars in official capacity.

> I guess I am a little defensive about the wording of a by-laws that would
> preclude me from my continued participation within the constituency. I don't
> consider it a witch hunt, just a poorly worded proposal that really doesn't
> achieve what you are looking for.

I would be defensive too, did you ever disclose per the constituency
disclosure rules your position with PIR?

-rick