[registrars]

RE: [registrars] WHOIS expiration date for Auto-renewed domains

> Unfortunately a default of "renew unless explicitly
> deleted" is safer. The risk of a name being deleted by the
> registry if a registrar could not explicitly renew it
> for technical (or some other reason)
> still exists and the ability to restore doesn't change that.
> Additionally, it would require changing existing processes
> that have been in place for several years that assume a name
> is autorenewed and never deleted by the registry unless
> explicitly told to do so.

Hi larry. I REALLY wish you would have been around with us when we were
discussing this with chuck at the shanghai meeting. Let me put down the
entire discussion so that all your doubts are answered

* the domain expires on day 1, but continues to be active
* on day 'x' (could be 5,10,15,20 anything) the registry puts the domain
on registry hold (domain becomes inactive)
* on day 'y' (could be 45) the domain is deleted unless it was
explicitly renewed

Now if 'x' is 5 and 'y' is 45 then the registrant can renew between the
5th and 45th day and if he does not then the domain gets deleted.
Nevertheless the registrant is notified sinc on the 5th day the domain
becomes inactive

Another advantage of the abv process is that the registry charges US
(registrar) only if we send an explicit renewal

bhavin