[registrars]

Re: [registrars] WHOIS expiration date for Auto-renewed domains

Paul Stahura wrote:

> I agree. A more informative status expiration will
> increase renewals and decrease frustration and confusion.
> The registry knows that the name has not been paid for yet, correct?

How does the registry know that the name hasn't
been paid for?

Unfortunately I don't see a way that they are going to be
able to explain this in the whois. That is, that the
"date" is not really the expiration date, but it"maybe"
the expiration date, so check with the whois of your registrar.

The fact is, there is really no point to having the expiration
date appear if it isn't authoratative.
And if it does need to appear, the only solution
that I can think of is to encode it in some way that
the average user can't decipher, but someone who knows the
code can. Like the registrar or someone who has taken the
time to read an explanation of the date.

Expiration date 2004-01-01 could be
shown just as RXD20040101 or something
even more cryptic. That way an average
uninformed user wouldn't make a mistake when looking
at the registry whois and thinking his domain had not
expired as has correctly been pointed out.

> How about:
>
> "Expiration Date if name is renewed: 2004-01-01 (This name is pending
> deletion)"

Doesn't make sense to do this. What is the point of
saying "Expiration Date if name is renewed:" Once again, how would
the registry know if the registrar has or has not been paid.
A renew command doesn't need to be sent if the registry
has autorenewed the name. Only if it has not.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> Paul

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.