[registrars]

Re: [registrars] IDN Representative

> - open standard protocol
> - transition strategy that takes into consideration current installed base
> - fully functional multilingual domain names
> - character equivalence mapping (Charprep) enabled for continued
> user-friendliness
> - registry responsibility to provide charprep information and support
> - clear indication and specification of charprep support for registrars to
> implement
>
> I look forward to any feedback, comments or concerns anyone may have, and
> represent the constituency well.

First, I'm not sure where everyone else stands on this, or even if that's
what you meant, but I would hardly qualify Verisign's test-bed and other
similarly ill-conceived experiments on live subjects to be an "installed
base". As I've said a couple of times, that's my personal view...

Second, I would strongly urge our representatives to look at this problem
from a highly international standpoint - with the perspective of languages
and Unicode imposed realities, and not necessarily that of countries and
governments. Creative solutions will be continue to be required to ensure
that we see an implementation that truly lives up to the standards of the
work done within the IETF.

Lastly, please try to consider not so much what impact current
registry/registrar technologies will have on  committee's recommendations,
but rather what impact the committee's recommendations will have on current
registry/registrar technologies. The difference is slight, but I strongly
believe that the former approach will allow the GNSO to progressively pursue
appropriate plans that benefits industry over the long term. Thinking along
the former lines will simply shackle our approach to "what is palatable" for
registries and registrars over the short term and restrict our options to
those precious few afforded us by test-beds that we had little or no
formative input into.

Best wishes in this important endeavour.

Thanks,

                     -rwr

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
thought which they seldom use."
 - Soren Kierkegaard